Do you speak English and Bengali, Cantonese, Farsi, Italian, Russian or Sorani?
Would you like to use your language skills to benefit others in your community?
Do you have good communication skills and a friendly, helpful manner?
Would you enjoy working as part of a team?
Are you able to give approximately 3 hours each week?
SIS (Sussex Interpreting Services) Health Promotion Project is recruiting and training Volunteer Linguists in Brighton and Hove to use their experience, understanding and influence to help people with language needs (friends, families, neighbours, colleagues and community members) to be able to navigate the health and social care system and lead healthier lives.
Volunteer Linguists will:
- link people to specialist health and social support services
- help with making appointments, reading letters, filling in forms
- represent communities by offering feedback about services
- promote and distribute health information
- engage people to talk about health
Volunteer Linguists will receive:
- Free training in Health Promotion and Social Prescribing
- Additional skills development opportunities
- Support from the Projects co-ordinator and from their peers
- Out of pocket expenses
We are now recruiting new Volunteer Linguists to start with SIS in November. For more information and to register your interest please contact Ben Williams on 01273 234016 or use the form below.